Augmented Reality (AR) will be a much bigger market than Virtual Reality (VR). It will enter the workplace, will enhance our experience in cities and within tourist destinations, and will be widely used in education. How will it be used by you and your organization?
- Virtual reality will be more of a niche market at $30 billion by 2020.
- Augmented reality will be four times bigger at $120 billion than virtual reality.
- Augmented reality and virtual reality will add up to a $150 billion business by 2020.
- Virtual reality will become a mainstream technology for the world.
- 25 million head-mounted VR headsets will be sold worldwide by the end of 2018.
- Major content networks such as sports networks and video creators will start supporting AR and VR devices.
- Facebook will continue to invest heavily in virtual reality in order to be on the cutting edge of technology‘s next important shift.
- HoloLens could allow Microsoft to regain the glory it lost to Apple in the last decade.
- 5G will push augmented reality and virtual reality into the mainstream.
- Head mounted displays (HMDs) will be the prevailing form-factor for both AR and VR devices.
- Virtual reality designers could make physical interactions with the real world play a role in the virtual reality experience.
- Flexible multiferrorics could enable new wearable devices such as health monitoring equipment or virtual reality attire.
- The integration with virtual reality and motion-gesture gaming will equally compliment the realism by providing with each game 100% full immersion.
- People could have an engaging mind-blowing experience with physically immersive virtual reality.
- Organizations and universities will leverage the technology to bring the best facilitators to teach employees everywhere.
- Virtual reality designers could make physical interactions with the real world play a role in the virtual real
- 3D TV that does not require glasses and truly immersive virtual realityentertainment will be mainstream and for many will replace classic TVscreens.
- Developments such as super wide photography and 3D graphical representations will be combined to recreate the live experience.
- Virtual reality will offer experiences that simulate live-action viewing.
- Travelers will be able to capture 3-D experiences using virtual realitydevices.
- Populating virtual worlds will help enhance the experience with in hotels, restaurants etc.
- Virtual reality will create environments that allow patients to share point-of-view information and concerns directly with medical caregivers.
- The rapid advance of information and communication technology will likely continue apace.
- Apple could leverage its close relationships with app developers and the thriving App Store to create virtual reality apps.
- Collaboration between dispersed teams will be more possible as the virtual realityand possibly holograms becomes a common working practice.
- Virtual reality tools (as Oculus Rift) will enter the workplace.
- AR’s scale could prove a bonanza for mobile networks’ voice and data businesses.
- Forward thinking news organisations will start experimenting with ways of using VR tech for storytelling.
- Robotic technology combined with Artificial Intelligence will assist humans in manufacturing, space, military and transportation sectors.
- Travel companies will give clients virtual tours of hotels, cities and experiences.
- Visualisation and modelling into virtual reality-based outcomes and scenarios will help to both shape guide and form public opinion.
- 3D TV that does not require glasses and truly immersive virtual realityentertainment will be mainstream and for many will replace classic TV screens.
- Virtual reality/second life will be widely used in education.
- Virtual reality will begin to feel 100% real.
- Travelers will be able to capture 3-D experiences using virtual reality devices.
- New disease categories due to the excessive use of virtual reality (VR) solutions in gaming and other industries will appear.
Find the sources and more resources on Shaping Tomorrow about ‘Augmenting your reality‘ some of which were used in this Trend Alert, or ask us for a customised, in-depth GIST report on this or any other topic of interest to you. Also, click here to find out how Shaping Tomorrow can help your organization rapidly assess and respond to these and other key issues affecting your business.